Pellet grills use wood pellets that are moved from one area to another. Wood produces heat and smoke that can cook food slowly for long periods of time. A pellet grill is a great option if you want to see what flavors work best with them and experiment with different types of wood.
We want to let you know about these best pellets and roasts and what makes them worth it. Here’s why you can learn about these grills, how they work, how they compare to other models, and some reasons why pellet grills are worth your money.
Table of Contents
What is a Pellet Grill
A pellet grill is a grill designed to handle wood pellets. It has a burner box and a funnel, which is a container for wood blocks. When the grill cools, it sends a signal to drop the pellets into the burner box and burn, producing heat and smoke.
With a pellet grill, you can set the temperature, close the lid, and go. The cover will stop the heat from escaping and trap the smoke inside. Not only does the heat cook the outside of the food, but the smoke can penetrate the food and leave a smoke ring inside the food. Most grills have an ashtray or bucket that collects soot as it leaves the grill.
How a Pellet Grill Works
A pellet grill looks like a gas grill with a metal hopper mounted on one side to hold the wood pellets they burn as fuel. The resulting fire gives a smoky smell because the wood pellets are made from delicious hardwood varieties such as hickory, oak, pecan, and cherry.
Today’s pellet grills feature an electronic thermostat with a digital display so you can dial in the exact cooking temperature; the hopper automatically draws the right amount of pellets into the combustion chamber, where it ignites. The grill maintains a stable temperature, just like an oven, adjusting the speed of burning pellets to maintain the set temperature.
To learn more about pellet grills and other grill types, start with our grill buying guide. CR members can also go directly to our pellet grill ratings to see how specific models perform in our rigorous tests of uniformity, indirect cooking, and temperature range.
How Much Is A Pellet Grill?
Pellet grills aren’t cheap, with prices ranging from $100 to $2,500. No matter what budget you have, you can still taste smoky food.
I’ve rounded up some of the best smoker grills for any budget to help you find the best one for you and your family.
Are Pellet Grills Worth The Money?
Yes, if you love grilling outdoors, you’ll love pellet grilling. Depending on the brand and temperature of your grill, indirect heat allows you to cook, smoke, stew, grill, grill, and seed food without a lot of interaction on your part.
Are Pellet Grills Expensive to Operate?
Pellet grills are not expensive to operate, especially if you buy pellets online. You can get a five-pound bag of pellets or an even larger bag for up to half what a propane grill tank costs.
The only other thing you need to operate the grill is some water from your kitchen.
Are Pellet Grills Easy To Use
As the name suggests, pellet grills burn small pellets sold in a variety of hardwoods to create subtle flavor differences. The pellets are poured into the grill’s pellet hopper and fed into the fondue by the auger. The brazier itself is ignited using a fan and igniter, which is then managed by a digital controller. There were no sudden bursts and no unexpected changes in temperature. This means you can worry less about excessive smoking.
Many grillers end up buying a pellet grill because they offer the simplicity and cleanliness of propane, but with the taste and flavor of cooking on wood. To get started, just press the power button on the digital control board and the controller will deliver the pellets, the igniter will heat up, and the fan will set the right conditions for a fire. Next, just dial in the exact cooking temperature and you’ll be grilling ready in minutes.
Benefits of a Pellet Grill
- Ease/Convenience – One-button start and temperature control eliminate starting fluid. No need to run to the local gas station to trade propane.
- Efficiency – Every 20 pounds of pellets can cook for about 20 hours. The granules range in price from $15-20 per bag, depending on the brand and place of purchase. When you do the math, you’ll find that pellet cooking is usually cheaper than a gas grill of the same size.
- Accuracy – Most temperatures stay within 10 degrees of the set temperature regardless of whether the outside temperature is 10 or 110 degrees.
- Versatile – Whether you want to grill hot dogs or slow-draw rib roasts, the pellet grill makes it easy.
- Flavor – There is no more natural way to get the flavor of wood-smoked food than with a pellet grill. Mix and match wood pellets and you’ll find your favorite smoke flavor. Try it and you will taste the difference.
- Value – They may cost more than regular grills you’ll find at the big box store, but pellet grills like our Grilla and Silverbac are made from stainless steel parts and come with a 4-year warranty.
Are Pellet Grills Better Than Gas?
While gas grills and pellet grills are similar in function, you may find them more suitable for your home and cooking needs. Gas grills are best for those who prefer natural and full-flavored foods, and those who want to use a small amount of smoke. We also recommend a gas grill for home cooks who want to cook quickly.
Pellet grills are better for those looking to save money because they don’t require as much fuel as gas grills. You can also buy different sawdust bags for less than a propane tank and experiment with various flavor combinations. We think pellet grills are better for those who want a strong smoky flavor and those who prefer food that is slowly grilled and smoked.
Are Wood Pellet Grills Healthy
Some claim that wood chip grills are healthier than other types of grills and point to carcinogens as the cause. Carcinogens are chemicals that are shed from food when it is cooked at high temperatures. This also applies to burn or burn marks on food.
The idea is that ash clinging to food and burning areas is full of harmful chemicals that could cause serious damage to those who eat it. Some even claim that these carcinogens cause cancer. While there aren’t any studies to back up these claims, many people believe that wood chip grills are healthier because they don’t produce carcinogens.
Why Are Pellet Grills So Popular?
Pellet grills are so popular because they allow busy people to grill their grills without having to look after them. Their popularity is one of the reasons they are so expensive.
These grills allow you to let the average person try the flavor combinations of wood pellets without spending a fortune.
Even if you’ve never baked before, it’s an absolute favorite for your family to easily serve delicious food!
Should You Buy a Pellet Grill?
Other reasons we think pellet grills are good value for money include:
- You can better regulate and control the temperature of the grill.
- The pellet grill gives you the freedom to cook your food while you do other tasks.
- You don’t need to deal with bulky propane tanks.
- Most have a temperature setting that you can choose and then will maintain that temperature.
- Pellet grills come in a range of prices for all budgets.
- Many top pellet grills will last a decade or more.
- You can easily try different cooking methods and foods.
- After cooking, the grill is easy to clean.
While not cheap, pellet grills are really good value if you like grilling. We bought ours because we wanted to be able to cook different types of food without having to babysit the grill.
As mentioned above, these are not just grills. It’s hard to explain how good the food tastes unless you cook with one of these!